2024-2025 Tanya Baker-Asad Scholarship for Palestinian Women Pursuing PhDs
The Palestinian American Research Center announces the inauguration of The Tanya Baker-Asad Scholarship for Palestinian women pursuing PhDs in the humanities and social sciences. The Scholarship was established in honor of the late Tanya Baker-Asad, an anthropologist, a feminist, and a strong supporter of the Palestinian cause. A woman of great integrity and compassion, and with a strong sense of justice, Tanya Baker-Asad was a researcher and a teacher who remained steadfast in her commitment to improving the lives of women, particularly those living under conditions of hardship and political repression. The Tanya Baker-Asad Scholarship was established by Baker-Asad’s husband, Talal Asad.
Applications due January 8, 2024
Awards announced March 18, 2024
Scholarship award of up to $25,000
On October 18, PARC will hold an informational webinar for interested applicants.
To register for this webinar, click here.
Qualified applicants should either be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in a doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences at an accredited university anywhere in the world. The maximum Scholarship award for academic year 2024-2025 is $25,000. The Scholarship may be used for any expenses related to the pursuit of the degree (e.g. tuition, research expenses, dissertation write-up support, living expenses).
Information about the fellowship competition:
- Applicants must be women of Palestinian heritage.
- Applicants must be scholars enrolled, or in the process of enrolling in a PhD at an accredited university anywhere in the world.
- Fields of study include, but are not limited to, anthropology, sociology, economics, history, philosophy, religious studies, political science, psychology, geography, literature, languages and linguistics, archaeology, art history, media studies, and film studies.
- The Scholarship can be used for any expenses related to the pursuit of the degree (e.g. tuition, research expenses, dissertation write-up support, living expenses).
Applications include the following:
- Application form
- Personal statement (maximum 1,000 words)
- Research statement (maximum 1,000 words)
- Academic transcripts (BA, MA, and PhD if currently enrolled)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Budget (maximum of $25,000)
- Other funding support
- Information page from passport, laissez-passer, or travel document
- Three letters of recommendation
- Interview with top candidates (conducted virtually)
- Primary criterion is the overall excellence of the application
- Clear and compelling statement of purpose
- Qualifications demonstrate the potential to undertake or continue a PhD
- Strong support from recommenders
The Tanya Baker-Asad Scholarship is supported by the Tanya Baker-Asad Fund